FBI requesting funds to investigate use of cryptocurrencies

Status
Archived

evo

Site Admin
This doesn't bother me. The government's premise is sound:
Some of our criminal investigators face the challenge of identifying online pedophiles who hide their crimes and identities behind layers of anonymizing technologies, or drug traffickers who use virtual currencies to obscure their transactions.
I have no problem with the government doing what they're supposed to be doing, what we are paying them tax dollars to do... to stop criminal activity.

The government cannot ruin crypto because they don't own or control it. That's the beauty of decentralization.

V4Vendetta

From
Texas
This doesn't bother me. The government's premise is sound:

I have no problem with the government doing what they're supposed to be doing, what we are paying them tax dollars to do... to stop criminal activity.

The government cannot ruin crypto because they don't own or control it. That's the beauty of decentralization.
Considering the government runs most of the drug trade (Dark Alliance by Gary Webb), I'm not convinced the low level 'good guys' in government will be able to stop their department heads drastically overstepping their constitutional bounds and abusing power to defeat the purpose of the anonymity of crypto. Actual criminals will always find a way to operate, but the government will always use them as the example of why they need to usurp your privacy and basic rights.

Reactions: evo
Status
Archived