How to send from an offline ripple wallet (rippex)

Status
Archived
From
Geelong
Hello all. I've set up an offline wallet on Rippex and want to send it to my Ledger device. How do I send from a offline wallet? I know with electrum (for bitcoin), I had to create a transaction in an online read-only wallet, transfer a file to my cold wallet to sign it, then transfer a signed file back to the online reading wallet and broadcast it. What's the equivalent process for Rippex?

From
Geelong
Thanks, but the guide doesn't answer my question, as I have an offline wallet. 3.2 of the guide seems to only relate to an online wallet:
1. If I do that from the offline wallet, it won't work (and shouldn't work) as the wallet is offline.
2. If I do that from the online wallet, it won't work (and shouldn't work) as this is a 'watching only" wallet.

There has to be a way to generate a transaction (or sign it) from the offline wallet and then broadcast it from the online wallet.

V4Vendetta

From
Texas
Thanks, but the guide doesn't answer my question, as I have an offline wallet. 3.2 of the guide seems to only relate to an online wallet:
1. If I do that from the offline wallet, it won't work (and shouldn't work) as the wallet is offline.
2. If I do that from the online wallet, it won't work (and shouldn't work) as this is a 'watching only" wallet.

There has to be a way to generate a transaction (or sign it) from the offline wallet and then broadcast it from the online wallet.
Why not just sign into Rippex? As I understand it you want to send XRP from your Rippex wallet to your hardware wallet correct? If you just "open" your Rippex wallet under the Open Account tab and instead of creating a new wallet, select the "wallet" file you saved to your computer and below it enter the password you created when you first created the Rippex wallet and then click Open Account. Then you can click on the Send tab and type in the address when you want to send your XRP and it should send it.

Last edited:
From
Geelong
The wallet is offline (on a cold storage PC - one that has never been connected to the internet). So that won't work. The Send won't do anything as it's not connected to the internet.

If there is no solution (such as that provided in Electrum for Bitcoin), I may have to connect it to the internet and modify my wallet to an online one. Then I can send it all. Since I'm planning to empty my wallet, that's not too bad in my case. However I would have thought that you'd be able to send from an offline wallet and keep it offline.

V4Vendetta

From
Texas
The wallet is offline (on a cold storage PC - one that has never been connected to the internet). So that won't work. The Send won't do anything as it's not connected to the internet.

If there is no solution (such as that provided in Electrum for Bitcoin), I may have to connect it to the internet and modify my wallet to an online one. Then I can send it all. Since I'm planning to empty my wallet, that's not too bad in my case. However I would have thought that you'd be able to send from an offline wallet and keep it offline.
Well, to my knowledge, even using the offline transaction option for the Electrum wallet (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQumISxkJsQ), you'll still have to then use that data on an online computer to update the move on the blockchain, otherwise how would the blockchain know you had actually moved your XRP from one address to another? As far as the nodes are concerned it would still be in the old wallet address. If you want to tell the blockchain that you moved it, at some point you'll have to be online (someone can correct me if I'm wrong).

From
Geelong
For electrum, what you do is:
1. Go to the read-only (watching) online wallet and create a send transaction, saving the file.
2. Copy the file to your cold storage computer.
3. Load the file into electrum
4. sign the file and save as a signed transaction file.
5. Copy back to the online computer.
6. Open Electrum and load the signed transaction file.
7. Broadcast.

In summary, you are creating a send transaction on an online read-only wallet, signing it on your cold storage computer (offline wallet), then broadcasting it via the online read-only wallet.

I presume that there's no equivalent process for rippex and to send funds you need to make your wallet online.

V4Vendetta

From
Texas
For electrum, what you do is:
1. Go to the read-only (watching) online wallet and create a send transaction, saving the file.
2. Copy the file to your cold storage computer.
3. Load the file into electrum
4. sign the file and save as a signed transaction file.
5. Copy back to the online computer.
6. Open Electrum and load the signed transaction file.
7. Broadcast.

In summary, you are creating a send transaction on an online read-only wallet, signing it on your cold storage computer (offline wallet), then broadcasting it via the online read-only wallet.

I presume that there's no equivalent process for rippex and to send funds you need to make your wallet online.
Ok, sorry, I think I misunderstood your initial question. I haven't tried this route personally but I did find on this forum (https://www.xrpchat.com/topic/9276-some-questions-regarding-walletrippex/) that someone with the handle Tinyaccount says it is possible but I think you have to first have an account here (https://rippex.net/#/conta/criar/verificada/passo1).

From
Geelong
Thanks. TinyAccount's answers seem to make sense and it doesn't seem that you'd need to create a rippex account (I'm not keen to find that). I couldn't see an option to create a transaction, only an option to send. I'll try to find that option - it must be something I haven't selected. Cheers.

V4Vendetta

From
Texas
Thanks. TinyAccount's answers seem to make sense and it doesn't seem that you'd need to create a rippex account (I'm not keen to find that). I couldn't see an option to create a transaction, only an option to send. I'll try to find that option - it must be something I haven't selected. Cheers.
Okay, good luck.

From
Geelong
Looks like there is no option needed to create a transaction. It just creates a file when you click Send on an offline wallet (maybe it does that also on an online wallet too, but if it does it is not as important).
Then you copy that to your online computer, open the wallet, load the file and send.
All done.

V4Vendetta

From
Texas
Looks like there is no option needed to create a transaction. It just creates a file when you click Send on an offline wallet (maybe it does that also on an online wallet too, but if it does it is not as important).
Then you copy that to your online computer, open the wallet, load the file and send.
All done.
Nice. Good to know. Thanks.

Status
Archived