Status
Archived
From
UK
Hi;

Any help with regards to the following would be appreciated;

I bought some ripple via coinbase - Binance and am storing them solely on my PC on Ripple Wallet. How do I take an off line backup say on a flashdrive which I can then store in a safe place. So if my PC dies I still have my coins?

Is the answer to copy the following to the to my flash drive;
1. Ripple wallet address - in a notepad file
2. Private key - in a note pad file
3. The wallet file (which I think is under 1k in size)
4. The Ripple executable so i can reinstall it on a new PC

Thanks.

evo

Site Admin
I would format your flash drive on a computer you trust that is free of any viruses or malware.

All you need is the wallet login, password, and secret key information. Double check for accuracy and put this information into an Adobe PDF file.

Using Adobe Acrobat, I would recommend adding encryption and password protection to the PDF file.

And store your encrypted, password protected PDF file on the flash drive.

Repeat this exact same step with a second and/or third flash drive, in the event one flash drive fails.

All you need to remember is the password to open the Adobe PDF file. And from there you have everything to access your Ripple in the future.

From
UK
Thanks...but and this is possibly me being thick; however do i not need the wallet file. I though the secret key was used to un-encrypt the the wallet file.

In the sense that if my PC dies and I only have a flash drive - I have the username/password at an application and the private key to a private/public key combo - what about the entity that contains the ripple.

Thanks again.

evo

Site Admin
Think of it like this... you do not have physical storage ownership of your Ripple (XRP). Your XRP is safe and secure on the Ripple Network blockchain. It will always be there.

The XRP that you own is assigned to the wallet address you created on Rippex. You can access this wallet at any time with your wallet file and the password.

But if you don't have your wallet file and password, you can recreate your wallet file and password from scratch at any time with your Secret Key. If you lose the Secret Key, you cannot access the wallet.

Yes, you can also save your wallet file to the flash drive.

And at any point in the future, to access your funds, you can always install Rippex or any XRP wallet on any computer, and access your XRP funds using your Secret Key.

Status
Archived