evo

Site Admin
Swing Trading Timing Settings
When it comes to charting buy and sell indicators for swing trading, I'm quickly learning the swing time settings (Swing Period and Swing Multiplier) are one of the most important factors to finding the appropriate spreads, based upon intended timeframes. My notes have been all over the place, making minor adjustments to trying different candle types for different results. I need a place to record these optimal settings, and will update this first post accordingly.

Baseline
First, let's establish a baseline. These are considered recommended baseline parameters, and from here you can adjust and tweak Swing Period and Swing Multiplier accordingly.

Time Frame​
Swing Period / Swing Multiplier​
4 Hour​
80 / 16
3 Hour60 / 12
2 Hour40 / 8
1 Hour20 / 4
45 Minutes15 / 3
30 Minutes10 / 2
15 Minutes5 / 1 or 100 / 6

• Recommendation is to use Regular Candles
  • Anything below 30 minutes should use Heikin Ashi Candles

Adjustments and Optimizations
Using the baseline above, below are my personal observations and optimizations for where I'm finding better results.

Time​
Swing​
Notes​
15 Minutes and Lower​
93 / 3This has worked best for me, especially on 15m and lower timeframes. 5/1 seemed too small and 100/6 was too long for missing potential good entries
24 Minutes9 / 1.9This has been tested and used extensively, and works great on the 24m timeframe using Regular Candles.
7 Minutes10 / 2For backtesting results, I've found this gives me the best results on lower timeframes. Backtesting considers multiple factors, to include Take Profit percentages and Stop Loss percentages. Use Heikin Ashi candles and get out of trades as soon as the trend flattens out.
5 Minutes8 / 3.4Currently testing. When results are satisfactory, this will be updated with final optimization.
15 Minutes60 / 5.5Currently testing. When results are satisfactory, this will be updated with final optimization.
4 Hour20 / 3.5For this timeframe, start with these swing settings and make adjustments until a range looks good.
1 Hour20 / 4Currently testing. When results are satisfactory, this will be updated with final optimization.
15 Minutes and Lower9 / 1.7Highly experimental. Currently testing. When results are satisfactory, this will be updated with final optimization.
1 Hour30 / 1.4For this timeframe, this is a good baseline. Adjust if necessary.

Swing Trading
  • Using Regular Candles on 24m and 4h timeframes. Only using 8h and 1d charts for macro analysis of key support and resistance levels.
  • Using the 21d Moving Average exclusively on all timeframes.

Scalp Trading
  • Using Heikin Ashi Candles on 3m and 7m timeframes.

Last edited: