Syscoin wallet 2.1.4 - 9/2/2018

Have just downloaded “Syscoin wallet ver. 2.1.4 onto Windows desktop pc. It is now sitting in “Local
Disk (C) drive. After clicking on it, wallet opens up, it shows the title stated at the top as “Syscoin Core –
Wallet”. I suppose the Wallet is now ready for use for all transactions. Only that I’ve not used it yet.
Can anyone clarify the following issues :
1 Is this wallet, ver. 2.1.4 the correct one to use for keeping Syscoins at present.
2 In the options menu at the top left is the word “Encrypt wallet”, where you have to input a “passphrase”. Should I encrypt it or is it not a necessity.
3 Is it safe and secure to be keeping this wallet on desktop pc or should I move it to another platform if
it is not secure, eg. can I move it to a usb thumbdrive. Otherwise, do I keep it both on the pc drive and in the thumbdrive also as sort of a backup.
Regards.

Apr 2017
Texas
Have just downloaded “Syscoin wallet ver. 2.1.4 onto Windows desktop pc. It is now sitting in “Local
Disk (C) drive. After clicking on it, wallet opens up, it shows the title stated at the top as “Syscoin Core –
Wallet”. I suppose the Wallet is now ready for use for all transactions. Only that I’ve not used it yet.
Can anyone clarify the following issues :
1 Is this wallet, ver. 2.1.4 the correct one to use for keeping Syscoins at present.
2 In the options menu at the top left is the word “Encrypt wallet”, where you have to input a “passphrase”. Should I encrypt it or is it not a necessity.
3 Is it safe and secure to be keeping this wallet on desktop pc or should I move it to another platform if
it is not secure, eg. can I move it to a usb thumbdrive. Otherwise, do I keep it both on the pc drive and in the thumbdrive also as sort of a backup.
Regards.
1. I'm assuming you downloaded their desktop wallet from the syscoin.org website. Anytime you download an official wallet it from the official site it will be the most updated version. Some desktop wallets will either give you an option to update the version within the wallet or prompt you to update to the latest version. Either way, staying updated is always a good thing.
2. As for encrypting your wallet, I would always say to be as secure as you can with everything so in general if you have the option to encrypt your wallet then I would. And like all security procedures, make sure you choose a diverse, long password so that it's not easily hackable.
3. As for where to store your coins, it's completely up to you. The nice thing about most desktop wallets is that you control your private key and provided you store all relevant information (address, passwords, secret/private key, passphrase, etc.) somewhere other than on your computer, you can always redownload the desktop wallet on a new device or restore it to an old device if that device is wiped out and needs to be restored, then use those private data info to restore the wallet back to the new or restored device. Remember, with any storage options all you are really doing is accessing the blockchain to view the balance associated with your wallet address. The coins aren't physically stored on your device. A wallet interface is not a full blockchain node, it is merely a viewing interface for your particular address. Should something ever happen to your viewing interface (eg. your computer dies), as long as you have the viewing keys (password, address, private key, passphrase, etc.) you can use those keys to reestablish contact with your address that holds those funds and access them accordingly.